Geography and History
Postmasburg is a town in the Northern Cape province of South Africa, located approximately 170 km east of Upington. Postmasburg sits 67km north of Griquatown and 58km west-south-west of Daniëlskuil. The town has a lovely dam surrounded by lush, green vegetation and sparkling fountains.
Postmasburg was originally a station of the London Missionary Society called Sibiling, then it became a Griqua village with the name Blinkklip. In 1890 it acquired its present name of Postmasburg and achieved municipal status in 1936. Postmasburg is after the Reverend Dirk Postma (1818-1890), founder of the Reformed Church
Blinkklipkop - (Tsantsabane) Archaeological findings indicate that Khoisan mined specularite there from at least AD 700. This mineral, a soft glittering form of haematite, was a highly valued commodity in precolonial times, used as a cosmetic and in ritual. Braai facilities.
Howitzer Gun Civic Centre - Honouring those who lost their lives in WWII.
Postmas Diamond Mine - The old mine is 45m deep, filled with clear water and well-stocked with fish.
Reformed Church & Rev Dirk Postma Statue - A blue dolomite stone building, erected in 1908.
For the adventure seekers, there are plenty of thrilling 4x4 trails, hiking and biking in the area.
The Witsand Nature Reserve is a must see for visitors to this beautiful part of South Africa!
Accommodation in Postmasburg includes guesthouses, B&B's, Self Catering and a hotel.
|Postmasburg Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||+27 (0)53 313 0343|