Geography and HIstory
Pella is an oasis in the Namakwa region of the Northern Cape province of South Africa. Pella is situated at the base of the Great Pella Mountains in the dry, dusty desert. Despite the barren area, it is known for its gemstones such as malachite, jasper and rose quartz.
Pella used to be known as Cammas Fonteyn because of the natural spring that was used by a nearby stronghold of San people. In 1776 a South African Dutch farmer called Coenraad Feijt settled there and lived in harmony with the San despite their fondness for raiding the cattle of the Dutch farmers in the Hantam. A nearby farm called Aggeneys later became the site of the modern mining town of that name.
Set on a sandy plain backed by high, sun-baked hills devoid of vegetation but vividly coloured by minerals in the soil, the spring reaches the surface, giving life to the figs, grapes and pomegranates grown at Pella. Pella’s dates are sold in wooden boxes to mail-order customers all over South Africa.
4x4 Trail - Namakwa 4x4 Exploration. Tel 027 712 8035/6.
Catholic Cathedral - Built over seven years by Fathers JM Simon and Leo Wolf, both of whom are buried in the church’s grounds.
Pella Mission Station
Accommodation in Pella includes B&B's and overnight stays.
|Pella Tourism Office Information|