Geography and History
The town of Prieska lies on the south bank of the Orange River west of Hopetown in the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. Prieska was established in 1878 and is a rich source of precious stones. Situated on the south bank of the Orange River at the foot of the Doringberg, it was originally named Prieschap, a Khoisan word meaning "place of the lost she-goat". Prieska is literally in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by many small settlements with names such as Niekerkshoop, Marydale, Copperton, Omdraaisvlei, Putsonderwater.
The site of the town, founded in 1882 and renowned for its semiprecious stones, was a fording place used by early travellers. The British Stone Fort on the top of Prieska Koppie overlooking the town, is made entirely of tiger's eye. The fort was built during the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902, and the graves of British soldiers who died in the war can be seen in the Memorial Garden in town.
The Schumann Rock Collection, including semiprecious stones and Khoisan stone implements, can be viewed at the municipal offices.
The area between Prieska and Vioolsdrif is often called the "Rock Garden Route" – where the rare halfmens and succulents of the Lithops family can be found - and the Ria Huysamen Aloe Garden outside town contains a large array of succulents.
Die Bos Nature Reserve with indigenous trees, shrubs and abundant birdlife, picnic spots, angling and suspended bridges across the Prieska River.
Fort on top of Prieska Koppie, built with tigers eye by the British during the Anglo-Boer War.
The Memorial Garden in town which contains the graves of British soldiers killed during the Anglo-Boer War.
Wonderdraai where a horseshoe-shaped island is formed by the flow of the Orange River and makes it seem as if the river turns to flow uphill.
Accommodation in Prieska includes Guesthouses, B&B's and Self Catering establishments.
Photos courtesy of riverviewlodge.co.za, wikipedia & Noordkaap Skaak.
|Prieska Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||+27 (0)53 832 2657|