Geography and History
In 1803, the London Missionary Society extended its mission north of the Orange River among a mixed community consisting of members of a Chaguriqua tribe and ‘bastaards’ (of mixed origin) from Piketberg, and local tribes like the Koranna and Tswana. Their leaders were Adam Kok II and Andries Waterboer. In 1813, at the instigation of Rev John Campbell, the ‘bastaards’ renamed themselves Griqua, and the place called Klaarwater became Griquatown.Disputes between the two leaders led to the Kok faction leaving Griquatown for Philippolis and Kokstad. When diamonds were discovered the Griqua were one of the parties claiming that the Diamond Fields lay within their territory.
Andries Waterboer’s Grave - Two cannon, ‘old Niklaas’ and ‘old Grietjie’, gifts from Queen Victoria, are guarding his resting place.
Mary Moffat Museum - The building dating from c1826, was a mission church. The museum was named after Mary, daughter of Robert Moffat, who married Dr David Livingstone. A pulpit used by Moffat, Waterboer and Livingstone, can be seen here.
Witsand Nature Reserve - The nearby Witsand Nature Reserve, just 20 kilometres south west of Postmasburg is quite beautiful, and worth a visit.
Accommodation in Griquatown includes B&B’s, Guesthouses, Farm Stays, Camping and Self Catering.
|Griquatown Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||+27 (0)53 343 0019|