Geography and History
Campbell is a small town situated on the edge of the Ghaap Plateau in the Diamond Fields Region of the Northern Cape province of South Africa. Campbell is located 48 km east of Griquatown.
Campbell was originally known as Grootfontein, but was renamed in honour of Reverend John Campbell who visited the Cape Colony in 1813. Barlett's Church, built in 1831, is one of the oldest churches north of the Orange River and both Reverends Robert Moffat and David Livingstone preached from its pulpit.
Renowned for its spectacular dolomite rock formations, many springs, Karee and Wild Olive trees, Campbell has a multifaceted history and has been home to San, Koranna and, later, Griqua settlers drawn by the springs.
Aloe Nature Reserve - A kloof on the edge of the Ghaap Plateau, now the Aloe Nature Reserve, is mentioned in accounts by early travellers including Burchell and Andrew Smith.
Anglo-Boer War - Visit Fabersput Battlefield, the monument to Kasie Briedenham and grave of Oupa Swartbooi (British spy).
Bartlett’s Church - Completed in 1831 and proclaimed a national monument in 1960, it is one of the oldest churches north of the Orange River.
Griqua Rebellion - Place of the battle between the Settlers and the Griquas in 1878.
Holy Ark Wood - Trees and succulents.
Accommodation in Campbell includes B&B’s, Guesthouses, Farm Stays, Camping and Self Catering.
|Campbell Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||+27 (0)53 832 2657|