Geography and History
Windsorton is an agricultural town situated in the Vaalharts Irrigation Scheme on the banks of the Vaal River in the Northern Cape province of South Africa. Windsorton is situated 50 km northeast of Barkly West and 40 km south-west of Warrenton. Windsorton was founded in 1869 as a diamond-diggers’ camp and is administered by a village management board. Diamonds were discovered in the river and prospectors flooded the village. At first known as Hebron, it was renamed after P E Windsor who was instrumental in its development. The Khoekhoen name is Chaib, ‘place of the kudu’.
Activities in and around the Windsorton area include fishing, canoeing, mountain biking, hiking trails and hunting.
Accommodation in Windsorton includes B&B's and self catering.
|Windsorton Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||+27(0)53 474 0432|