Geography and History
Alexander bay is the Northern most town on the west coast of South Africa. The Orange river which meanders through most of the central parts of South Africa, enters the Atlantic ocean at Alexander bay and forms the border between Namibia and South Africa.
Alexander Bay is named after Sir James Edward Alexander who in the 1860’s began exporting copper. However this period of prosperity was short lived, and by 1875 the exporting of copper came to an end and Alexander Bay resembled a ghost town... However in 1926 Diamonds were discovered and Alexander bay was given a new lease of life!
The finds were so rich that within a year the government had taken over the diggings and closed off the whole stretch of the coast to Port Nolloth to prevent the market being flooded. The resulting ‘diamond rush’ led to the Diamond Coast rebellion of 1928, when diamond-hungry prospectors threatened an armed uprising but strong police forces guarding the area persuaded the mob to break up.
The Tourism Information Centre for the region is based in Alexander Bay. Walking and cycling trails link points of interest in and around the town, as Alexander Bay forms a focal point of the "Living Museum" concept, being implemented in the area.
The nearby Orange River mouth, also hosts a wetland of international importance, in turn supporting an immense variety of bird and aquatic species. This area was recently declared a "Ramsar Site" (The Convention on Wetlands of International Importance).
Things to do in the area include: Golf Club, Tennis & Squash, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Canoeing.
Accommodation in Alexander Bay includes B&B’s, Guesthouses, Self Catering & camping.
|Alexander Bay Tourism Office Information|
|Telephone:||053 833 1434 / 053 832 2657|